Web design team moves up in Business Professionals of America competition

Senior Kenny Minger practices for the state Business Professionals of America (BPA) competition in March. Minger joined the club through his Capital Area Career Center Programming and Databases course. Photo Rita Alonso

Mason’s Capital Area Career Center web design team traveled to Owosso on January 13. Hosted at Baker College, the regional competition requires a team of two to four students to program and design a website.

This year, the topic was a DIY website, which stands for “do it yourself” website. The students who make up the team are Stockbridge High school senior Kenny Minger and Leslie High School seniors Kyle Dennis and Kirk Haydo. Their team name is The K Cubed Team. They came up with this name because all of their names start with K’s.   

Making it into second place out of five teams and medaling, they now move up to the state competition on March 17-19 which takes place in Grand Rapids.

“It was pretty hilarious, actually. As soon as we heard our team name called, we let out a loud roar of excitement and happiness,” Minger said. His part for designing the website was programming and putting one of the projects on the website.

“We have a pretty decent attitude for going to States,” Minger said. “We’re pretty excited, but at the same time, under quite a bit of stress due to the limited time and the fact we probably have to beat around 25 other teams in order to get into the Top 2.”