Honor students volunteer to collect fresh water and funds for Flint residents

Unloading+donated+water%2C+senior+Amanda+Page%2C+member+of+the+National+Honor+Society%2C+helps+take+water+to+Flint+to+assist+the+community+members+with+the+water+crisis.+

Brianna Gomez

Unloading donated water, senior Amanda Page, member of the National Honor Society, helps take water to Flint to assist the community members with the water crisis.

Students from Stockbridge National Honor Society (NHS) traveled down to Flint to drop off water to the community to help Flint with the water crisis. Flint residents were left to survive with bottled water passed out by many volunteers from around the state, including the American Red Cross and the Michigan State Police.

The students of Stockbridge High School’s National Honor Society decided to start a bottled drive headed by chapter officers.   

A felt heart for someone in need. National Honor Society treasurer, Karlee Fillmore, sells felt hearts at lunch to raise money for Flint.
Jacob Hudson

“We are collecting water and cash donations to donate to Catholic Charities Center for Hope in Flint,” Pam Gower, adviser of the National Honor Society said. “The American Red Cross directed me to this agency because they have the space and the staff to collect and distribute water. We are also selling felt heart pins for a dollar to wear on Friday, February 19 in support of Flint residents. All profits will go directly to the agency.”

Students from NHS got involved as well as other students from Stockbridge High School and others from the community.

“I got involved because I feel like Flint needs all the help it can get,” NHS member Sam Nichols said. “So far, I think we’re on track to donate about 2,000 water bottles, which would be awesome.”