Robotics film team wins first at Thunder Bay national film festival

Robert Richards

Having won first place, sophomore Kelly Cool and juniors Jake Chapman and Sam Nichols are handed their award to commemorate their film’s high achievement at the Thunder Bay Film Festival. “I was really happy to be there and be able to experience the festival as a whole,” Nichols said.

After working hard with their film “Aquanauts,” the robotics films recently took first place In December 2015, the Robotics students went to Key Largo, Florida to the Marine Lab, where they stayed 24 hours under water in the Jules Undersea Lodge. To get to the undersea lodge, they were all scuba certified and dove down to the lodge.

“To be able to stay underwater and work both as a film team member and Inventeam member was really cool,” sophomore Kelly Cool said. “ I was doing work on my inventeam but also documenting it for the aquanaut video and getting up close to the wildlife for quality footage.” The film team went along with the students and captured their experience on film. Under the guidance of their teacher Robert Richards, their film, “Aquanauts” won first place at the Thunder Bay national film festival in Alpena, Michigan.

“We are hoping to expand and grow our film team in the future,” robotics teacher Robert Richards said. “We are currently looking at incorporating film teams into more of our robotics classes at Stockbridge High School.” Members of the robotics team, including film team member Kelly Cool,  recently went to New Orleans, Louisiana to present a presentation at the WWII Museum.