Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Tuned In

Elton John: Rocket Man
Tuned+In
Sydney Walker

Elton John, who was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight, but eventually he legally changed it to Sir Elton Hercules John CH CBE, is a worldwide sensation and he continues to be at 77 years old.
At the young age of 4 years old, he began playing the piano and at the age of 11, he won a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Music due to his talent with music shown through performances at his previous school. During and after his schooling, John was drawn to music, so it wasn’t any surprise what he did with that.
John has always had an affinity for a wide range of genres of music and he wanted to pursue a career in it, which he did so extraordinarily well. When he was 17 he dropped out of school to reach his goals and aspirations. Though he dropped out of school, his affinity for pop music and his determination to be the next great singer allowed him to create his extraordinary career. Shortly after, in 1968, he formed a band known as “Bluesology” with two other members, saxophonist Elton Dean and singer Long John Baldrey. Interestingly enough, John created his stage name in honor of his bandmates, as previously stated above. Ultimately in 1968, the band broke up not due to any particular reason, it had more to do with how things worked out. Their split happened to occur a year before John’s debut solo album was released. After John chose to leave, he forged his way quickly in the music industry, making himself an inspiration and vibrant spirit. Bluesology laid the groundwork for him, and he built from there.
Although he was creating a compelling and illustrious music career for himself, he involved himself in important causes, like ending the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS, as well as preventing it. He even created the Elton John AIDS Foundation, which works to protect the people most vulnerable to HIV. In fact, Princess Diana and Elton John were close friends, until her passing in 1997, and they shared a passion for raising awareness of AIDS. Subsequently, John played his song “Candle In The Wind” at Diana’s funeral and altered some of the lines for her. For example, “Goodbye England’s rose…your footsteps will always fall here along England’s greenest hills…”
John has a great relationship with the royal family, but he also has a great relationship with the LGBTQ community, as he is an advocate for them and gay himself. Early on, he didn’t have the same great relationship with his parents when they found out he was gay. His mother told him that he would never be truly loved because he’s gay and his father left the family when John wasn’t even a teenager.
Throughout all of these experiences and more that have shaped him and his life, he will always be someone very influential in our hearts. His exuding confidence and pride is something that sticks with you.