Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Tuned in

Remembering a legend
Tuned+in
Sydney Walker

Known as “The King of Pop,” Michael Jackson has lured many in with his entrancing music and style. Jackson has not only inspired fans, but other singers as well. At just 5 years old, Michael Jackson began his music career in Jackson 5 (later renamed The Jacksons) alongside his four brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon, where his voice and iconic dance moves gained him fame quickly. 

Often, Jackson faced many controversies over his eccentric ways. After all, creative people are the ones driving that intense force of unique perspectives and ideas. Jackson had a strong philanthropic soul. He has made many contributions to society. Yet, we tend to focus more on the turbulent waters and scandals he faced, instead of the many contributions. 

In September of 1987, Jackson donated $20,000 to the family of a young Japanese boy, Yoshiyaki, who had been recently kidnapped and killed. In 1994, Jackson donated $500,000 to Elizabeth Taylor’s AIDS Foundation. Those are only two of the things on the extensive list of humanitarian work Michael Jackson did. 

Other ways Jackson impacted people’s lives was through his music. He had multiple hit songs and one of the most popular being his song,“Thriller,” released in 1982. It quickly became a sensation, eventually becoming a classic around Halloween. The song goes along with the short film Jackson released with the Thriller album. Overall, the meaning behind the song has been left to interpretation. Some fans believe it has to do with the fear of change while others believe that it has to do with the concept of safety and security. Either way, it is still a very intriguing song to listen to. 

Another great hit of his is his song, “Billie Jean,” also released in 1982. The catchy lyrics and beat capture the listening ears. When you hear the line, “Billie Jean is not my lover. She’s just a girl who claims that I am the one,” it could make you wonder what or who the song is directed towards. “Billie Jean” has been revealed to be more of a character representing the many groupies Jackson and his brothers were plagued with over the years. 

When Jackson performed at concerts or filmed his music videos, he found other ways to engage the audience. Besides his vivid voice, he captivates the gazing eyes with his illustrious dance moves

If anything, we should continue to remember Michael Jackson for all of the deep impacts he made on people and their lives, in regards to his music and charitable work. There were many times when people’s visions were clouded by the determination to find the “truth” behind the scandals he was involved in, when really, it was more likely that he was just an eccentric character and some of the things he did were a bit strange.

We must find a way to remember Michael Jackson for who he truly was and the impact he made to society.