Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Telephone: A Game of Rumors and Communication

The lack of communication and transparency withing the school
Sami Wilson
After the school’s lack of communication to the students and parents after a sub was fired, students began to spread rumors across the school as to what happened.

Elementary school, AKA “the glory days,” when the days were filled with exciting learning opportunities and the recesses felt all too short. The days when kids played together and at the end of the day, got sent home with weekly newsletters regarding happenings around the school. High school AKA “the current days.” The days that are filled with tests and responsibilities– and the days when bullet casings are found in our gym. The days when serious events go uncommunicated and spread through the Facebook rumor mill until only scathing, dramatized fragments of truth are left for the hysterical masses to grasp onto.
Just recently, a substitute teacher was let go for allegedly inappropriate behavior. Before students could reel from the sense of shock, Facebook was already blowing up with accusations and blasphemy. Facebook knew about the scandal before parents did. The lack of communication and transparency in our school is alarming. If information isn’t sent for situations such as these, how can we expect transparency in the future? How can we expect to trust the school in dire situations? How can we expect to go to school feeling “safe,” when we could be missing key pieces of information?
Now, communication from the school doesn’t come in weekly newsletters, it instead comes with vague, delayed emails. Take, for example, the bullet casing found in the gym last spring. Parents weren’t informed until at least a few days after the rumor mill began spiraling out of control. There needs to be more openness and prompt communication in order for a culture of stability and trust to thrive.
Things are already far too out of control before the school releases a statement. Kids are frantically texting their parents, trying to figure out what’s going on, but the parents don’t know. When questioned about the nature of the situation, often the school declines to answer the students or gives a vague answer. This needs to be fixed with more open, candid communication. This lack of transparency is a dangerous game that feeds into the rumors until it’s a sticky monster that latches onto any shred of fear, sucking the rationale out of students.
Openness and transparency are valued in all aspects of life. The school preaches these values but still leaves information out. It’s a game of telephone. A game where students and parents ask, “Who? What? Where?” A game that’s based on rumors and no real communication.