• May 23Varsity softball game, May 23, at 6 p.m. @ Ranney Park in Lansing.

• May 21Don't forget to study for your AP tests this week!

• May 17Field day for seniors decision day, May 22, report to gym at 12:55 p.m.

InvenTeam travels to American Samoa

Back to Article
Back to Article

InvenTeam travels to American Samoa

While on location in the South Pacific, junior Kael Bunce works on the computer to fix the broken Pixhawk, the ROVs autopilot, junior Kaleb Adkins and Sophomores Chelsey Asqith and Hailey Howard help Bunce resolve the issue.

Leaving late November and coming home early December, the InvenTeam traveled to American Samoa. They traveled to this territory of the United States located in the South Pacific Ocean to teach school children underwater robotics and to conduct bottom fish studies.

“My favorite part of American Samoa was learning about their culture and how humble and kind they were,” sophomore team member Chelsey Asquith said.

In American Samoa, robotics students met up with their pen pals that they wrote to for two weeks before their trip.

It was overall an amazing experience, but it was the result of a lot of hard work from a lot of students,” Robert Richards, CAD and underwater robotics teacher, said.

The team taught eight schools, grades eight through twelve how to build ROVs in a bucket and made scientific discoveries, such as witnessing and filming the Yellow lip emperor fish camouflaging itself.

“We spent 10 days in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and got to interact with some of the kindest people I’ve met,” Richards said. “Not only sharing our experiences with underwater robotics, but also conducting research in the marine sanctuary.”

Of the trip of a lifetime for a young student, Richards said, “You have to be proactive. You have to make opportunities for yourself. You can’t sit back and wait and ask for somebody to ask you to go to places like American Samoa it is not going to happen.” Richards said.