FIRST Robotics prevents unprofessionalism with rewards and consequences

New system keeps team in check

Figuring+out+the+pieces+and+building+quickly%2C+sophomore+Melanie+Eskew+and+freshman+Aiden+Howard+work+as+a+team+for+the+FIRST+Robotics+Kickoff+at+the+MSU+campus%2C+January+5.+

BRENDEN YANNELLA

Figuring out the pieces and building quickly, sophomore Melanie Eskew and freshman Aiden Howard work as a team for the FIRST Robotics Kickoff at the MSU campus, January 5.

FIRST Robotics strives to focus on gracious professionalism. Members realize that if they don’t act with that quality, it can cause a divide within any community. That is why the team has recently created a system of rewards and punishments to help each member achieve greatness.

“Robotics is known for its [professionalism],” sophomore member Brooklyn Baker said. “At competition, certain teams get blacklisted if they’re not upholding those values, like screaming at other team members or things like that.”

Of these incidents, Baker said, “I’ve seen that and that’s not very pretty. If you’re just costing time, you’re not being gracious. We’re professional.”

Baker defines the concept of gracious professionalism as “knowing your values of the team.” This, she said, becomes the motto for every team that the club has divided into.

As multiple other teammates have, Baker defined the system of rewards as a positive and overall good impact on each team. This approach includes the voting of a hardworking member, a poster with praises of excellence including his or her name on it, while showering them with candy.

The team put aside drama and fighting for the good of the group. Maybe, it seems life such a simple concept, but these words speak a thousand to them.

Our team is like a family,” adviser Bryan Tasior said. “We approach each other with respect and now understand that even when there are disagreements, it is important to reach compromise and work together to figure out difficult tasks or situations.”