• June 7Varsity softball takes on Regionals this Saturday, June 9, 2018.

• June 6There is an NHS meeting during B Lunch for all students invited to the program.

• June 5The last day to order your 2018 yearbook is on the last day of school, Tuesday, June 12.

News flash: Climate change does not just deal with heat

Back to Article
Back to Article

“In the East, it could be the COLDEST New Year’s Eve on record. Perhaps we could use a little bit of that good old Global Warming…” [email protected]

Perhaps, Mr. President, you should be more educated about global warming and how it is everywhere, affecting everyone in some way.

The talk of climate change gets political when it should not be because no scientist argues that this is all just a phony matter. Physics teacher Bryan Tasior assigned his students to try to find a scholarly article with a scientist arguing against climate change, and he said no student found one. CO2 levels are rising–they have skyrocketed in the last few years, creating an anomaly into the Earth’s atmosphere.

Trump’s budget proposal sure has helped decrease funds for programs trying to prevent this catastrophic issue, and because President Trump has so many diehard followers, whatever he says goes.

According to the National Public Radio, the State Department budget proposal “eliminates the Global Climate Change Initiative and fulfills the President’s pledge to cease payments to the United Nations’ (UN) climate change programs by eliminating U.S. funding related to the Green Climate Fund and its two precursor Climate Investment Funds.”

So, our president is clearly uneducated about the facts of what may happen in the future; he would rather brag about how big his nuke button is instead.

A popular argument about climate change is that it has nothing to deal with weather or temperature. Unfortunately, that statement could not be more inaccurate.

According to a monthly analysis of global temperatures by NASA scientists, November 2017 was the third warmest November in 137 years of modern recordkeeping.

If we continue to let these politicians tell us whether or not global warming is a hoax, many coastal states and islands will cease to exist.

Public health might be a more convincing reason to the skeptics.

According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, climate change has significant implications for our health. Rising temperatures will likely lead to increased air pollution, a longer and more intense allergy season, the spread of insect-borne diseases, more frequent and dangerous heat waves, rainstorms and flooding.

All of these changes pose serious, and costly, risks to public health. There should not be any controversy about global warming, whatsoever. But, there is a way to change the silence about it.

Talk to your local representative. Let them know you want there to be a change.

Do not let politicians influence you. Instead, influence your politician.