Increasing Chromebook damage, ways to prevent

Hannah Kightlinger

Sophomore Madi Gee-Montgomery works on her Chromebook during her first block in journalism.

Dropping the new iPhone 6s means the biggest shock in your life at a $600, but dropping the Chromebook from school means the $25 insurance will save your day.

The new laptop computers provided for every student since the beginning of this school year are becoming increasingly damaged.

“We’re still doing okay with as far as our goal was, but I think as far as the number of breakage lately, it’s a lot more than at the beginning of the school year,” library aide Kim Killinger said. “It seems like students were just becoming more careless with them and not really being mindful of them.”

The Chromebooks among other benefits were obtained to replace the slow and outdated computers at school. After some months, being used to the laptop computers which were purchased through a grant, students started worrying less about their condition.

Every student paid a $25 insurance and maintenance or got funded by administration which would help a student in case of a complete damage the first time.

“To replace a Chromebook is roughly $400,” principal Richard Cook said.

“My Chromebook broke by it getting knocked off of a desk by another student,” sophomore Madison Stowe said. “I think rubber cases would be a great idea and prevent chromebooks from getting broken.”

There are options for students protecting their laptops like investing in a rubber case for about $50 which eventually will prevent students from buying a new laptop.