Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Win or die trying

Baseball team looks to improve
Junior+Jayden+Pilch+stands+in+the+box+ready+for+the+pitch.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Angel+Fletcher.+
Junior Jayden Pilch stands in the box ready for the pitch. Photo used with permission from Angel Fletcher.

With a lot of returning juniors from last year, there are a good handful of seniors ready to compete this baseball season. One of the returning players, senior Zach Fletcher, explains why it’s important for him to have a good last season.
“A good senior season would mean a lot to me, as I always like to end everything I do on a high note. Having a good season this year would mean so much to me,” Fletcher said.
With a 2-18 record last year, the Panthers are going to have to look to change their game plan, whether that means running practice differently or switching players around to different positions.
“This year will be different because we have more depth. Last year, we had players on varsity that I personally don’t think should have been and weren’t ready from less experienced baseball to varsity,” senior Cruz Medina said. “This year, we’ll have more experience and teamwork.”
Looking to improve, the baseball team has a lot of goals this season. They have an easier schedule this year and are looking to get more wins.
Some players even have their own goals for this baseball season.
“One goal of mine would be to finish with a winning record. Another goal I can think of is to win a district baseball game. That would mean a lot to me,” junior Jayden Pilch said. Pilch also added that he would really like to beat the team’s rivals, the Leslie Blackhawks.
After last year’s disappointing season, Fletcher explains what this season means for the program. This season the baseball team hopes to show everyone what they’re capable of.
“This season is a year where I believe we as a program can define what makes Stockbridge baseball different. We will not give up and will fight to win,” Fletcher said.
Coach Mark Vanderboom is looking to use last year’s record experience to strive for excellence.
“Last season, we had a lot of adversity on and off the field. The team played as individuals and didn’t always support each other,” Vanderboom said. “Players have worked hard this winter and will have more experience. One of the goals is to work together as a team and genuinely care about our teammates. Players and coaches are excited to get the season started.”