Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Great expectations

Coming off JV’s undefeated season and only one loss in summer ball leaves high hopes for Boys Varsity
Joey Ballagh

This year’s varsity boys basketball team has a lot of expectations for the 2023-2024 season. There are six returning varsity players, four of whom are starters, and they are hoping the addition of the undefeated JV team will be enough to enter deep into the postseason. 

“This year’s team has a higher ceiling than any team I have coached here,” varsity basketball coach Jacob Robidou said. “That being said, those high expectations come with some added pressure.”

After summer ball finished at 15-1 and won games over Schoolcraft, Fowlerville and Olivet,  there are high hopes that this summer ball success will translate to success for the regular season and success for the postseason. 

“My expectations for the season are to win more games than last year and go far into the postseason,” junior point guard Jacob Dalton said.

Since there is no conference for the team to play in, there will be many more away games than last year. In addition, JV will be playing different teams at multiple arenas than they have before. 

“While not having a conference is not ideal, I am very happy with our schedule this year,” Robidou said. 

This feeling is not only viewed as a positive thing by the coach but also as a positive thing by players. 

“I do not think not having a conference will affect us because away games never disappoint. I personally like away games more because of the hostile environment. With an undefeated JV team coming to the varsity level, there is excitement for the younger kids on the team to be a part of a team with such high expectations,” senior guard Kegan Collins said.

Players who are starting to find their roles on the team are finding excitement in the new season as well.

“My expectations for the season are to win a lot of games and have a lot of fun,” junior center Foster Pybus said.

Not only are there new additions to the roster with upcoming players and a different schedule but there is also a new varsity assistant coach, Derrick Boles, who comes from a basketball background and has lots of experience within the game. Boles played overseas and coached at the NBA D-league level. In turn, he brings a basketball presence with his attendance along with the value of relationships. 

“We have a ton of talent… But the reality isn’t about the game of basketball… but more about life.” Boles said. 

Boles will be able to assist coach Jacob Robidou in this upcoming season. 

“This is our year, we have talked about this since we were little and now the time is here, we have not won in a long time, now it’s our time,” senior guard Drew Robinson said.