Since when is doing things ‘like a girl’ a bad thing?

May 12, 2015

Puberty. This is where self confidence goes to die. It’s a horrible time period of uncertainty for young girls. A girl begins to develop a body, but she also begins to develop some skepticism about whether or not she’s beautiful and who she is as a person.

Not only does a girl feel uncertain, but she also experiences some pretty life changing events. It sucks. Trust me, I’ve been through it.

We start to look more like women. By that, I mean we develop breasts, get taller, and we start our monthly menstrual cycle. It’s some crazy stuff.

The company Always understands the pain girls feel, and they’re doing something to change that. With the #LikeAGirl campaign, girls are being shown that becoming a women is empowering and is something that should not be dreaded. Doing things “like a girl” doesn’t mean doing them the wrong way or the worst way. It means doing it exactly the way you do it, because we ARE girls and we should be doing things like them.

When did liking a girly color become a bad thing? When did doing something like a girl become an insult? When did being a girl become a put-down?

The sad part is that women don’t even realize that they’re being insulted every time they hear a phrase like, “You hit like a girl,” and that boys AND girls purposely avoid the color pink because it’s girly and they don’t want to be stereotyped.

Girls play basketball and so do boys. Girls run track and so do boys. Girls do plenty of sports that boys do, and it’s no big deal. But, a boy dances and it becomes revolutionary.

The big question is: What does society value? Society values male performance.

Doing something like a girl is an insult because society says so, and no one questions it.

Make society question it, ladies. Keep doing you and society will get the picture. Keep being like a girl and make like a girl mean incredible things because it already is. Society just needs to realize it.

Uncaged • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in