Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Connor’s report

Are athletes good role models?
Connors report
Connor Fitzimmons

Athletes are always in the headlines whether they’re good reasons or bad reasons. Athletes are held on a high pedestal and are almost always admired by many, so it’s easy to forget just how many could actually be bad role models.
From 2000 to 2014, 574 players have been arrested. 87 of these cases are domestic violence. Mike Vick, Ray Rice, Aaron Hernadez and also Ray Lewis are amongst those who have been arrested for various crimes,domestic violence at the top of the list.
Mike Vick is regarded as one of the most groundbreaking quarterbacks of all time. In 2007, the Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting investigation occurred where star QB Mike Vick was caught dog fighting along with 47 dogs in his possession. Vick’s case is probably the most famous case of athletes not being a good role model.
The most occurring altercations with NFL players have been domestic violence. The most recent one of these cases was from the Buffalo Bill’s edge rusher Von Miller for allegedly assaulting his kid’s pregnant mother.
Henry Ruggs III, a young football star, was intoxicated while driving. He ended up hitting and killing a 23-year-old woman while going 156 mph in Vegas. Ruggs’ college coach, Nick Saban, talked about the situation to his 2023-24 team.
“But would he be better off now or is he better off where he was going 156 miles an hour and running his ass into someone and killing them?” Saban said “So, what kind of friend were you? What kind of leader were you when you allowed the guy to do it? But nobody wants to do that, because they’re afraid of what somebody’s gonna think of them.”
Not only NFL players are poor role models but NBA players are, too.
Pistons forward Isaiah Stewart was arrested for assault after punching Phoenix Suns’ forward Drew Eubanks before the start of the game.
Another NBA player, Memphis Grizzlies’ guard Ja Morant was charged with a gun charge for his rapper-like antics on livestream while waving a firearm on camera.
There are many more stories of players doing wrong that overshadow the players using their fame for good.
Around Thanksgiving, former Michigan running back Blake Corum used his NIL money to give to families in need. First baseman for the New York Mets Pete Alonso announced that for this season he will be donating 1,000 dollars for every home run to animal shelters. The NFL acknowledges players like these with the Walter Payton Award.
Four-time NBA champion point guard Stephen Curry has a foundation with his wife Ayesha Curry, Eat. Learn. Play.’ that helps kids in need mostly in Oakland.
Yet we still ask the question: are athletes the best role models for children?