BREAKING: Overdone popcorn causes a smoky situation


Photo Abbey Salyer

The cause of the whole fiasco was this smoke-chard popcorn bag.

During first block, the smoke detector sensed smoke coming from the choir room setting off the fire alarms. Everyone exited the building safely. The area around the gymnasium lobby reeks of burnt popcorn. Choir teacher Carol Hatch explained how she handled the hot situation.

“A bag of popcorn was in the microwave for too long and it started smoking,” Hatch said. “I took the popcorn bag outside and threw it in the garbage. There was a quite a bit of smoke because it was burning popcorn, but there was no fire.”