Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

More than just a game

Athletes develop life skills
Mark Rogozinski
Senior quarterback Jalen Rogozinski aims to throw to his teammates.

Captain and quarterback Jalen Rogozinski reminisces about his senior football season. Though he admits that he sharpened his athletic ability during practices and games, he also says that he learned so much more. 

“Every single day, I would learn more than just football,” Rogozinski said. “Football taught me to be a better person.” 

But it was more than that, Rogozinski added. “We were always learning something valuable. I remember one time we were on our way to JTV Media Day, and Coach Killinger started talking about money and how to invest it wisely,” Rogozinski said. 

All State honorable mention Drew Robinson charges with the ball in tow. (Mark Rogozinski)

Captain of the football team, varsity basketball player and varsity baseball player Drew Robinson agrees with Rogozinski and admits that sports have helped him grow as a person. Robinson recalls how sports have helped him in a positive way. 

“Since I’ve been in highschool, I’ve learned that the rule to being on time to practice is to be five minutes early,” Robinson said. “Just waking up and making sure I’m on time has helped with time management in all aspects of my life.” 

Learning life skills has been beneficial for Robinson, but he also confesses that it is a good way to relieve stress. 

“I compete in sports because it’s just a good thing that gets your mind off anything that you have going on at home or anything you struggle with,” Robinson said.

Junior Miley Moser sprints after the ball. (Mike Williamson)

Varsity Soccer player Miley Moser agrees that sports can be beneficial for mental health. 

“When I’m on the field I feel like I can let out all of my physical and mental energy. It’s just relaxing for me.”

Former professional basketball player and school liaison Brad Buddenborg reflects on his time as an athlete and thinks that playing sports can help athletes find what they’re good at and can make athletes feel confident. 

“For me, It always felt good to be really good at something. I liked the practice aspect of it all as well,” Buddenborg said. “Just being able to get better and honor your skills was a big part of it. It felt good to match up against another team and beat them.”

Junior Tristan Blair throws for a strike. (Drew Robinson)

Varsity bowler and baseball player junior Tristan Blair thinks sports can also be a good way to get outside your comfort zone and have fun. They give students the opportunity to exercise and have fun while doing it. 

“My favorite part of competing in sports would be the adrenaline and the exercise you can get throughout sports,” Blair said. “I enjoy playing certain sports like baseball and bowling because I get to compete and have fun.”