Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Year after year, struggle after struggle

Girls fight for coming home game
Alaina+Kellenberger+celebrates+with+teammates+after+making+her+free+throw+to+close+the+gap+between+the+Panthers+and+Arbor+Prep.+
Foster Pybus
Alaina Kellenberger celebrates with teammates after making her free throw to close the gap between the Panthers and Arbor Prep.

The varsity girls basketball team did not have a Coming Home game until January 19th.

Leadership and 9th grade U.S. History teacher Corey Baird said that most teams play their league games on Friday nights, so it was hard to get teams in the gym on those days which made it hard to schedule a Coming Home game. 

However, on the afternoon of January 19, athletic director Ernie Rivers sent out the weekly game schedule which indicated that the girls basketball team did not have a game for Coming Home. 

Realizing this, gym teacher and assistant girls basketball Coach Susan Lockhart sent out an email to Arbor Prep to ask if they would consider bringing their girls varsity team on Friday, January 26 to play the Panthers.

This is not the first time that the girls have had trouble scheduling a Coming Home game.

Susan Lockhart admitted that last year they had to fight for the girls to have a coming home game. 

“For the same oversight to happen, second year in a row, it makes the girls feel undervalued,” Lockhart said. 

A majority of the players agreed with Lockhart. 

“I was very disappointed and upset when I found out that I wasn’t gonna be able to play on Coming Home. Since my freshman year, I have wanted to experience being a senior for a big game like this,” senior Alaina Kellenberger said. “I found it to be sexist because the boys get football games and basketball games when all I wanted to do was play for my senior year.” 

The varsity girls team kept the game close with Arbor Prep until after halftime. Arbor Prep went on a 21-0 point run in the third quarter to pull away from the Panthers and go on to win the game.

“We did decent in the first half and I feel like if the team played the way we did in the first half that it would have been a closer game and could have possibly been a win,” Kellenberger said.