Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Games and gratitude

Watching the Lions as a Thanksgiving tradition
Collin Trost
Senior Cameron Loveall shows off his Detroit Lions jersey.

Do you sit and carve a turkey on Thanksgiving, socialize with your family at the dinner table, start your Christmas shopping list, or gather around the TV to watch the Detroit Lions?

The Detroit Lions have been playing on Thanksgiving day every year since 1978. And regardless of their record, families still gather to watch them. In fact, the Lions are one of the most-watched football teams on Thanksgiving.

Last year, the Detroit Lions vs Buffalo Bills Thanksgiving game pulled in an average of 31.6 million people and a peak of just under 42 million people watched the game. One of those watchers was sophomore Wyatt Loso, a very passionate Detroit Lions fan.

“We go to my grandma and grandpa’s house and watch the Lion’s game and have a big feast every year. I love watching the Lions on Thanksgiving, especially because I watch them all of the time,” Loso said.

For senior Cam Loveall, it’s not just about watching the game, but also about watching the game with people you love.

“What makes it so special is watching it with a bunch of family that I don’t get to see that often and get to cheer on the Lions with them,” Loveall said. 

Although a majority of families watch the Lions game at home on Thanksgiving, that is not always the case for gym teacher Stephen Moffatt. 

“We usually get together as a family and have a close Thanksgiving dinner, normally following the Lions game,” Moffatt said. “However, I’ve gone to see the lions about 15 times in my life on Thanksgiving.”

This tradition doesn’t always relate to holidays; cheering for a team can bring a family closer together when they’re passionate about them.

“I watch the Lions every weekend. My son is a die-hard Lions fan and breathes Honolulu Blue. We watch the Lions regularly,” Moffatt said.

This year the Detroit Lions played the Green Bay Packers. The game had an average of 23.4 million viewers this year. Even though the Lions lost twenty to sixteen, families still enjoyed spending time together watching it. Thanksgiving football isn’t always about who wins or loses, it’s about making memories.

“Thanksgiving football is special to me because we’re losing the game together, we’re winning the game together and we celebrate the game together,” Loveall said.