Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Leaving a legacy

Heritage student council coordinates donation drives for Stockbridge Outreach
Melanie Satowiak
Heritage student council members work together to sort through the canned food donations at Stockbridge Outreach.

At Heritage, a group of aspiring young individuals have demonstrated their dedication to the community and leadership skills in choosing to give back this holiday season. By taking on the challenge of coordinating two donation drives, fifth and sixth grade Student Council members are helping make a difference in the lives of many.

The canned food and winter coat drives began on and are set to end on November 20th. Students have been collecting items to build Thanksgiving food baskets and provide coats to people in need this November and December.
Director of Stockbridge Outreach, Gwen Reid, revealed her surprise and excitement for what the Heritage Student Council has in store for the community, as Outreach is an organization that will never turn away from those offering help.

“I was surprised because they’re young, but I was also excited because we could always use more help and more donations,” Reid said. “We always need more. But that’s something I think is cool about Stockbridge; they’re trying to get community-minded early.”

Not only are these students learning to connect with their community, but they’re also beginning to build relationships and gain leadership skills, which staff members have commented will take them far in life.

“With Student Council, we have the ability to give students opportunities for leadership and to be involved and to start having those experiences here as fifth and sixth graders,” Heritage Principal Meghan Kunzelman said. “We thought it was a really good thing to have some leadership opportunities within our building that [the students] can carry with them to the Junior/Senior High.”

As for the students themselves, they have expressed admirable interest in being part of the community and helping others. For many, that’s why they decided to join the Student Council.

“I really liked that we were going to help the community and I really hope we can accomplish keeping the community warm this winter and to help feed people in need,” fifth grader Parker Sommer said.

For others, the opportunity to take on a leadership role played a big part in their decision to join the Heritage Student Council.

“I want to be a leader and help others in our community,” sixth grader Brianna Smith said.

However, no matter their motivations, the community is grateful to have these students so involved, as their contributions are really what help people and families get by during the holiday season.

“[Outreach] has helped me tremendously throughout the years. They’ve helped me out with food and clothing, Christmas, Thanksgiving, all the traditional holidays,” Stockbridge resident Dottie Skodak said. “They have really helped a lot. And if you ever have a need, they can find a way to get you what you need and help you plan to pursue anything you’re needing done. They’re very, very helpful.”

As the future that lies ahead of Heritage Student Council members shines bright, fifth grade teacher and adviser Emily Shepherd has aspirations and high hopes for the rising leaders.

My goals for my Student Council members are that they learn how to be a leader because the leadership skills they are learning now are gonna follow them for the rest of their lives,” Shepherd said. “I want them to learn how to be good human beings all around, whether they like the people or not. I want them to see opportunities where they can help people and not just be a bystander looking; I want them to actually take action to help.”