Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

The big switch

Teague’s comeback year
Grace Burg
Sawdust hangs in the air as the room is filled with signs of craftsmanship all around. This is where Teague teaches his techniques to his students.

Before coming to Stockbridge to teach woodworking and construction, Gary Teague had a completely different career. He was a production manager for a machine builder. 

When you first walk into Teague’s classroom, the room feels open and welcoming. He is the kind of teacher who is willing to help you with what you need to succeed.

Teague has had many jobs before teaching. “I was presented with an opportunity to change careers and to teach in the skilled trades, and it sounded like something that I would enjoy. I was ready for a change, and so I decided to take a leap of faith,” Teague said. 

Teague has done woodworking all of his life and decided to bring his prior knowledge of it to his new students.

“I am an avid woodworker. I spent as much time as I can in my woodshop and have been doing it for 30-some years,” Teague said.

Every teacher has a way to drive for their students; however, some are more effective than others. 

“I’m just giving kids the opportunity. Most schools don’t have a shop class anymore and skilled trades. It’s hard to get folks into. And so just adding the drive to give kids an opportunity to see what’s out there can be really helpful,” said Teague.

Teague is driven to help students by teaching them new things. This is very important for all teachers. Without driven teachers who are willing to help out students, there will be no interested students who want to learn and want to be involved. 

Teague is a very important asset to the welding construction and woodworking industries in our community.