Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Meditation helps students and teachers get through the week

English teacher Rita Stricklin decided to start a meditation group for students. She wanted to provide a simple way of relaxation. According to Stricklin, she worries about the “health and wellbeing” of her students. 

I saw a lot of people struggling with anxiety and stress and thought this is just one way I can help,” she said.

Meditation—a word often used to describe, relaxing, calming, inner peace—is a scientifically proven resource to help calm the body. Meditation groups are very common, and although some people prefer being alone when they relax, having others there can often help you relax more. Meditation improves anxiety levels 60 percent of the time according to Mindworks online reporter

Sometimes, you just need that little break, you just need that slow down. It is good to just take a breath and zone out for a couple minutes. 

Stricklin provides this group weekly Mondays and Thursdays, just a quick 10-15 minute session. “I have been meditating for over 10 years. It’s a big part of my life. Without it, I’m a big bundle of anxiety,” she said.

She simply does this for the wellbeing of herself, and her students. Her motivation is the health of her students—she wants to help in every way possible. 

Meditation club runs right after school, for 15 minutes, and will sometimes stay until 2:45 p.m. to chat with each other. 

Stricklin thinks everyone needs to zone out and ease their mind every couple days, and a lot of research agrees with her. All sessions are in person, but can be virtual if needed.  A survey was taken in 2020 around the U.S and more than 35 million people have considered giving meditation a try. Roughly 75 percent of those who have meditated have felt happier and their minds have been more clear. So it’s time to give YOUR mind a break. Join your local meditation group, or simply just meditate in your free time by yourself.  Just take that 15 minutes out of your day, and relax by meditating.