Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

New beginnings and soundful endings

Stockbridge welcomes new 9th grade English teacher Cathy Payne to room 204
At the start of Mrs. Payne’s class she always meets her students with radiant vibes.
Evan Sandecki

Room 204 was once known as the calm, relaxing spot where previous teacher Jessica Martell taught English, TED Talks and Creative Writing to her students ranging from grades 9-12. Now that Martell is gone, Catherine Payne, one of our new staff members at Stockbridge High School, has acquired that same room with her distinctly enthusiastic and energetic vibes.

Senior Chloe Suter described her as “very upbeat and positive” and emphasized the value of having a positive outlook on life. “It makes the students more willing to learn and there’s a better outlook of their work and mentality towards school,” Suter said.

Working as a teacher for over 20 years, Payne has had a passion for instilling in her students the value of education.

“I remember being a Junior in my US History class. And I remember thinking students deserve a teacher who’s going to answer their questions and have some passion for teaching them the material.”

Payne graduated from Western Michigan University where she became dual certified in English and German. Her passion for German culture and language inspired her to teach and share it with her students. So much in fact, that during Payne’s junior year in college, she became a German exchange student.

“I love to travel. And every time I get the chance to travel, I do.”

Payne has traveled around the world to destinations including the Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, the United Kingdom and Mexico.

“Every trip has been an adventure,” Payne said.

Outside of the classroom, Payne enjoys reading and spending time with her family, including her dog, Piper.

“She’s a whole ball of energy during the day, and at night she’s just a love bug.”

We are looking forward to seeing what amazing things Payne does while at Stockbridge High.