Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Dark days in Texas

A mass murderer takes over a small town in Texas in the 1970’s
Made with Canva

You may have seen the popular horror movie, The Candy Man, based on an urban legend of a nineteenth century murderer. While the story from the movie may be a myth, there really is a dark backstory about the real Candy Man Killer. 

Out of fifty students surveyed in our school, only 4% believe they have heard of the man named Dean Corll, also known as the Candy Man Killer. “I think I heard of the name before but I don’t know what he did,” said sophomore Terrence Cordero. A few other students also agreed. 

Between the years of 1970 and 1973 mysterious things started happening in the town of Huston Heights. Young boys and teenagers were mysteriously vanishing without any sign of where they might be. According to missingkids.org, Corll worked alongside two young men, Henley and Brooks. These boys would lure their friends and other boys of similar age to Corll in exchange for $200 for each person they brought along. These boys were tortured, raped, and then killed upon satisfaction of Corll. Bodies were found in multiple areas including a beach, reservoir, and a boat storage shed. 

But how did Corll get the nickname Candy Man? Corll worked in his mothers candy shop and would hand out candy to young children and would eventually find a love for young boys. He would let these boys hang out inside the shop and would befriend them in hopes for one to be his next victim.