Breaking News
  • March 24 - 29, No School | Spring Break
  • Fri March 22, Quarter 3 ends
  • Wed March 13, Half day
  • Thur March 7, Parent Teacher Conference 4-7pm
  • Panther Pride, Fri Jan 26
  • Throw back, Thur Jan 25
  • Pink out or Barbie inspired outfit, Wed Jan 24
  • Dress like a teacher, Tues Jan 23
  • PJ's Mon Jan 22
  • Wed Jan 31, Half day

Stockbridge FFA donates produce to local outreach

Robert Richards
Agriculture class shows off their donated produce.

Stockbridge High School’s agriculture program recently thought of a helpful idea for the community. The Agricultural program originally bought chickens as a project during their animal science section, but they learned to love them and wanted to continue raising them. Through conversation, the students decided they wanted to give back to the community.
“It’s a good cause and it helps the community,” senior Clarissa Hill said.
Since August, the program has donated 28 dozen eggs, 12 pounds of peppers, 56 pounds of roma tomatoes and over 20 pounds of beef steak tomatoes.
The idea of giving back to the community was embraced through the classes Future Farmers of America. The last line of the FFA motto is “Living to Serve” which is a vital role that plays into the agricultural organization.
“During the COVID shutdown and its aftermath, our students, many for the first time, became aware of hunger in their own communities,” agriculture teacher Robert Richards said. “Because of this, many of the projects in our class shifted from robotics to food production.”
Outreach has two main programs they use to give back. They have a weekly drive through where people are handed their food in their car. Around 110 people attend these every week. Once a month, Outreach allows residents to come inside and shop in the pantry. About 75 people travel to outreach every month.
“People love fresh eggs considering we don’t have a grocery store in Stockbridge,” Outreach team member Gwen Reid said.