Career and college ready

In the game of life, the choice of ‘start career’ or ‘start college’ is the first decision made in the game. 

“Getting started: On your first turn, decide either to start a career, or to start college” the Hasbro game instructions states. 

Statistics based on a survey sent out among high school students

In many ways this applies to every high school student’s life; they have to make the life altering decision of  going straight into the workforce or going to college. The thought of having to choose what you are going to do for the rest of your life at the ripe old ages of 16-18 can be stressful. 

“Navigating it on your own is hard and our teachers are pointing us in the way or towards our counselor’s office and I think a lot of us will be utilizing that very soon,” junior Melanie Satkowiak said. “But like when you’re a freshman and a sophomore, they want you to figure it out and you have no idea and it’s a lot of stress.”  

Numerous students have felt like high school has not prepared them for going straight into the workforce. From a young age students have been told that after high school, college is the only answer if you want to succeed in life.

“I haven’t had much that put me to the side of the trades,” senior Charles Porter said. “I’ve been told by my teachers, my family, former graduated students, and even my graduating class this year that ‘you need to go to college, you need to get a degree and go get a job after that.”

Since high school was not as successful for him, Porter had thought about college but realized that it was not in his future. 

School does not have to be for everyone, for instance, Landen Schipul has known for a very long time that he will be going into the Marine Corps. Some flourish in an educational atmosphere while others cannot succeed in a school environment.

While many students may think that college is the only option after high school, that is simply not true. There are many options after high school such as the military, a gap year, going straight into the workforce and trade school are all options yet from a student survey that was sent to the class of 2023 and the class of 2024, 72.2% of Stockbridge students are college bound.

However, choosing college can also be a very beneficial decision to make. 75% of jobs require a college degree according to Truthout.org.

“I know that for my career I need to attend a higher field of education such as college or university,” senior Adrianna Adkins said. “College will help me prepare for my job because it will teach me everything I need to know.” 

So whether or not college is right for you there is always someone that you can talk to for guidance. There have been people in your shoes that did not know what to do after high school. You can speak to guidance counselors, teachers or other students. 

“Start having conversations with people that have done both,” principal Jeff Trapp said. “Talk to people that have gone straight into the workforce or talk to people that have gone directly to college.”