Hometown helping hands

Alyssa VanHook

Multiple shelves at Outreach are meant for hygiene and personal care items.

Stockbridge Community Outreach

Stockbridge Community Outreach started in 1981 to combat poverty in the area after local churches became unable to help people on their own. Outreach is currently run out of room 120 of the old middle school and they provide help to hundreds every month.

They began as only a food pantry but have since expanded to provide more services to residents who need them.

“We offer some financial help to people that qualify if they have a rent eviction, utility shut off or they need help with propane for heat,” Outreach director Gwen Reid said.

Reid began working with Stockbridge Community Outreach after retiring. Because of her background in social work, Reid knew how much Outreach had been able to help people.

“I get to see people in need get what they need and I get to see people who generously donate come and donate and give time,” Reid said.

Outreach relies mostly on the community to help stock their shelves, but they also receive food from the Lansing Food Bank.

On Wednesdays, they bring enough food to serve 80 people to Stockbridge Community Outreach. The food they bring is organized into bags and distributed to people who come by.

Clothing donations are the most abundant, but personal hygiene items are what people need the most.

Although many do choose to involve themselves, the shelves at Outreach are understocked.

“We really do need to ask the community for more help,” Reid said. “The best way people can help is through food drives or personal care drives.”

Outreach benefits from drives held by businesses in the community around the holidays but they are much less common throughout the rest of the year.

“For a small, little town, we sure have a lot of people that are willing to give,” Reid said.

National Honors Society and Leadership Class

Students who participate in National Honors Society are required to complete 30 community service hours each year. NHS gives students the opportunity to get their hours through things like tutoring other students and fundraising for NHS.

“I like tutoring because I like seeing the impact that it has on students who might still be catching up from COVID-19,” senior Drew Bennett said.

National Honors Society members can also get their hours outside of school.

“My favorite community service that I’ve done is for missionary groups that help human trafficking,” senior Emily VanPelt said.

The student leadership program, run by history teacher Corey Baird, does things like decorating for Homecoming and running a Thanksgiving food drive for Stockbridge Community Outreach.

Community service does not exclusively benefit those that are being helped.

“It’s nice to help people that need it and to feel like you’re doing something that’s worthwhile,” VanPelt said.