Makerspace decorates for Christmas

Hoping to make a profit from their chickens, the agriculture class assembled a chicken coop to house their hens. They have not started laying eggs yet, and now it is too cold, but hopefully they will be ready by the farmers market in spring, Junior Marcus Hill said.

Macy Cipta

Hoping to make a profit from their chickens, the agriculture class assembled a chicken coop to house their hens. “They have not started laying eggs yet, and now it is too cold, but hopefully they will be ready by the farmer’s market in spring,” Junior Marcus Hill said.

This December, the seventh and eighth grade Makerspace class decorated the chicken coop outside of the school. With help and guidance from the Special Projects Lab, it gave the opportunity for middle school students to learn to use the tools they will be using in high school.
“It’s a fun project,” STEM teacher Robert Richards said. “In the end, they learned how to use a jigsaw, pain and transfer drawings from a smaller drawing to a larger full scale drawing. There were a lot of skills in there but they didn’t even realize they were learning.”
Students were making decorations for the coop for two weeks. The decorations can be seen from the windows of the classes in the seventh and eighth grade hall. Other students get a taste of Christmas spirit through the work of their peers.

Makerspace middle school students teamed up with Special Projects Lab to spend Christmas cheer. (Macy Cipta)

“My class helped cut out the wood for the decorations and we also outlined and painted all of it,” eighth grader Emily Satkowiak said. “We put together the stands and hung the lights. I had the most fun painting.”

Drawing, painting sawing and more, the Makerspace students learned new skills as they created their own Christmas decorations. (Macy Cipta)

The project was started in hopes of spreading Christmas cheer.

“It was to spread the Christmas cheer around the school and do something different,” Richards said. “Schoolwork doesn’t always have to be filling out a worksheet and being bored to death. We can do something constructive, learn and then present our learning in a different way. So they’re presenting the work they created in class to a public audience outside.”