Places, thank you!

Stockbridge has many clubs, activities and sports that people love and admire. There’s cheer, football, softball, quizbowl, bowling and agriculture to name a few. However, there’s one class missing: theater. And to 8th grader Haley Warren, there is no feeling in the world like theater. Theater is a gateway into a world of confidence, vulnerability and self expression.
And our school has only one theater class which is for 7th graders.
“I love to have that freedom to explore, and experiment.” Warren said. She doesn’t do the theater class, as she is too old to be in it. “It kind of sucks because I really enjoy it. It’s fun for a lot of kids, and I know many kids would love to be in it.”

Kathryn Brumm

According to the student schedule, 15 students are currently in Introduction to Theater, which seems to be limited to the participation of only 7th graders. If there’s that many kids interested in theater across one grade level, there’s bound to be interest across the entire school. Even if just 10 kids from every grade participated every year, that’s 60 participants!
Not to mention that theater isn’t just fun and games. TJ Rogers, the coordinator of Community Theater of Howell’s All Stars, Youth Theatre, Youth Script Committee and the Youth Summer Camps believes that theater isn’t just a fun class, it can teach valuable lessons.
“It provides an opportunity to use their imagination and creativity,” Rogers said, “Whether they are performing as a cast member or working on the staff or crew, they interact with others and work together using both non-verbal and verbal communication. Another important aspect of theater is that it requires youth to be responsible, organized and punctual. All of which are very useful life skills,”
Schools nearby us also have flourishing theatrical programs. Schools like Dansville, Pinckney, Fowlerville, Howell and Grass Lake all have thriving theater programs. Putting on shows like The Little Mermaid, Disney’s High School Musical, She Kills Monsters, Beauty and the Beast and A Christmas Carol that really pull in crowds. According to statistica.com, in spring 2016 over 47 million Americans had attended a live theater event within the past month. That’s one in seven people.

Kathryn Brumm

In addition to that, youth shows bring in a lot of people, and subsequently, profits. When Community Theater of Howell put on Elf: The Musical Jr. last winter, they sold a vast majority if not all of their tickets several times in their two week run. With typical theater tickets selling for $5-$30, any community can really make money off of these shows.
There isn’t a lack of willing students who advocate for a theater class. With those 15 theater class kids, and the 30ish who regularly participate in the Town Hall Players, the town’s community theater, theater has provided many students a fun, safe and skill building activity that is not made available by the school. Theater is a gateway into a world of skills and lessons that are useful for kids of all ages. From those at Smith doing a corny educational skit, the kids at Heritage picking up a flier for the Town Hall Players and then 7th grade theater class, there seems to be plenty of options.
Until you hit 8th grade, and the stage lights fade to black.