Face off: Valentine’s Day, to love or not to love

No students were hurt in the making of this article. Olyvia is definitely safe and alive, and those rumors of her demise by the hands of Gaven the Grinch of Valentine’s Day are only rumors.

– Kayne Hilt Uncaged Student News Web Editor

Via Hoard, Creative Editor

TO LOVE

Valentine’s Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. What’s not to love? Eating chocolate, getting roses, and being around the people you love is always fun. There’s nothing bad about Valentine’s Day, and I have never known why there is such a despise against it.

You might be thinking, “It was created by Hallmark to sell cards.” Well, you are wrong. Valentine’s Day came from a Pagan feast in the middle of February to celebrate the death or burial of Saint Valentine, which occurred around A.D. 270. Though, History.com says differently. 

Some claim the Christian church might have decided to have St. Valentine’s Day in the middle of February in an effort to mask the Pagan celebration of Lupercalia, a feast celebrating fertility, more Christian. Anyways, Christmas is the most commercialized holiday of all, and everyone loves it.

If that did not change your mind about Valentine’s Day, maybe this will. Many people say that Valentine’s Day can be expensive, but it does not have to be. Here are some ideas of ways to spend your Valentine’s Day without spending much or any money at all. You could cook a nice dinner with things you already have at home, rent a movie, have a pizza night, make homemade fondue, or make an at-home-spa are just some ways you could spend your Valentine’s Day without spending too much money. Plus, Valentine’s Day is not about the things you do, it is about spending time with the people you love.

Now you may be asking, “What about people who do not have a significant other?” Well, you do not necessarily need to spend your Valentine’s Day with a romantic partner. You could spend Valentine’s Day with your best friend, your family, have a “Gal-entine’s Day” with your girls, or anyone else who is special to you.

Valentine’s Day is one of the most fun holiday’s out there. I just love being with people I love. It does not matter if you have a romantic partner, the point of Valentine’s Day is to appreciate your loved ones.