‘No’ to drugs, but ‘Yes’ to SRSLY

Replacing disruptive behaviors with positive healthy behaviors in youth

Hannah Kightlinger

SRSLY runs a float in the homecoming parade, promoting the avoidance of drugs for minors. “My sister Hannah participated in the event, I think it helped her learn how to avoid drugs.” said sophomore Emma Lockhart.

Eighth grader Devin Whitaker traveled to Orlando for the trip of a lifetime, and it wasn’t to Disney World.

He joined SRSLY, a group against the use of illegal substances, that holds youth conferences to teach students about the harmful effects of drugs. “Sticker shopping” is a favorite movement of the SRSLY group, where they travel around to gas stations and put cautionary stickers on cases of beer to warn about buying alcohol for minors.

“It’s a good program for little kids to show them not to get into drugs,” said sophomore Breanna Choate.

According to the SRSLY website, youth are using alcohol and marijuana more than their peers in Washtenaw and Jackson Counties. Youth in Stockbridge have started abusing substances at younger ages on higher rates.

“The average age of first marijuana use is 14, while alcohol use can begin as early as 12,” said Michelle Castillo, the Digital media reporter at Adweek, the leading source of news for marketing. “Also, out of the estimated 20 million alcoholics in America, more than half began drinking as teens.”

According to Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth (MiPHY), in Western Washtenaw county 1 in 10 middle schoolers have used prescribed painkillers without a doctor’s prescription. Most children who are abusers of medications say they get it from friends or their family medicine cabinets.

“Medicine cabinets are where a lot of kids who start abusing medication get their pills,” said the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) spokeswoman Barbara Carreno.

SRSLY introduced CTPN SRSLY to 2nd graders at Smith Elementary School in March to spread the message, which is to stop and prevent substance abuse, out to everyone. Using something children are familiar with, like comic books, they are drawn to getting the message while enjoying it.

Ideas like CPTN S. system from meetings that are held every month with students from all ages to gain ideas of what activities SRSLY could host that they would participate in. Each community has the opportunity to chose their own activities that works best for them.

While not everyone knows about SRSLY, but word is getting around fast.