Are parent-teacher conferences still relevant?

Empty chairs line the area next to classroom doors. Expectant teachers wait for the space to be filled. Abandoned hallways during parent-teacher conference nights raise into question the usefulness of having the meetings at all.

According to high school staff spring conference summary data, the average classroom attendance rate of parents was a mere 18 percent.

English teacher Alaina Feliks does not meet many parents for her senior English class.

“I think more parents should come,” said Feliks. “I personally think it is important for parents of all ages. I think parents of seniors should come too because seniors still need to be mentored, but parents think they don’t.”

The Michigan Education Association (MEA), an organization that is dedicated to creating an optimum learning environment for students, also supports the interaction between parents and teachers.

“The MEA believes parent-teacher conferences are valuable because it gives parents and teachers the opportunity to dialogue on how they can partner together to improve educational outcomes for their students,” said MEA director of communications and public policy Nancy Knight.

Parents who regularly attend conferences like Katherine Snider, mother of four children, also believe that the conferences are beneficial, but not just for the opportunity to talk with the teacher about their student’s progress.

“I think it sends a powerful message to your child that you think what they do in school is important,” said Snider, who also mentioned that conferences help explain why certain grades are the way they are.

I think it sends a powerful message to your child that you think what they do in school is important.

— Katherine Snider

“Sometimes there is a story behind a missing assignment,” said Snider. “It helps you get the big picture.”

Parent Carrie Schray is a mother of one elementary student and one high school student, who didn’t make it to spring conferences, but she still feels that they are worth going to.

“They are easy to miss,” said Schray. “Generally people don’t have a whole lot of time, but I can get to see the classroom environment and I can get the low down on classroom behavior.”

Still, some parents find that it is easier to just check grades online.

“Personally, I don’t need to go. There is just so much access to computers now,” said father of two students, Kevin Smith. “Fortunately our kids are doing well. If there is an issue, we address it with our kids, then they address it with their teacher.”

Smith also thinks that conferences should take place, but less often.

“Once a year would appropriate; the first conferences are too early,” said Smith. “There should be a halfway point.”

With no one there to listen, physics teacher Bryan Tasior portrays a common scenario among teachers at conferences.

“It is kind of depressing that people don’t come in. I really like talking to the parents because I’m usually so busy around the school. I’m in my cave all day, and I don’t get out into the community. I don’t live in Stockbridge, so it gives me a chance to meet the kids’ parents and interact with them,” said physics teacher Bryan Tasior.