• March 25Puppy chow sale at all lunches March 25-29 to support NHS.

• March 22Pancake dinner at McDonald's to support the Robotics team Tuesday, March 26, 4 -7p.m.

• March 21Jackson College visit for juniors and seniors, April 22, 9a.m.-1:30p.m.

Feminism at its finest

On the basis of sex

Back to Article
Back to Article

Feminism at its finest

The notorious life of RBG

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a Justice on the Supreme Court, a Democrat and is 85 years old. She may not have been the first female Supreme Court justice, but she is an influential one. RBG, as she is known by most, has made a huge impact on the modern era of feminism. According to the American Civil Liberties Union, Ginsburg founded the Women’s Rights Program in 1972. She has gone through a considerable amount of schooling to get where she is today.

The History Channel says she has attended Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School, and Cornell University. In an interview, Ginsburg told The New York Times, “I consider myself a flaming feminist.”

###

Inspiration from ‘On the Basis of Sex’

“On the Basis of Sex,” the new movie about a young woman named Ruth Bader Ginsburg who fights for her equal rights as a female in the 1950s. When her husband falls ill of terminal cancer, she continues to go to college, taking notes in her husband’s classes, and taking care of their children.

She takes on a court case with her husband Martin Ginsburg when she realizes she could make women’s history. The legal drama that is rated PG-13.

Rated on Rotten Tomatoes, it is at 74 percent on the Tomatometer and 72 percent from audience score.

“On the Basis of Sex” is the best movie I have ever seen. It made me laugh, cry, and think, “Go, Ruth, stand up for us women and fight for our freedom.”

Ginsburg is such a determined young woman in the movie. Felicity Jones portrayed Ginsburg marvelously.

Ginsburg was only one of few women to attend college at the time. She thought that women deserved to work and that not all women had to be a homemaker. She wanted to fight for women’s rights because she believed that women were just as intelligent as men. She went to college, she became a lawyer, and she fought for our rights.

I would rate this movie a 10 out of 10 because it had a very strong, inspiring message with tons of history. There were some weaknesses though. I don’t think they portrayed every aspect of Ginsburg. They should have added more detail about her life.