Stockbridge High School alumni venture across new borders

Post graduates explain how to master the art of study abroad programs

Geoff Humphrys

On a study abroad trip to England, Stockbridge High School alumni Morgan Ward (third from right) visited castles on a global perspective business trip with other Michigan State University students.

98% of college students who study abroad say that studying abroad benefited them by helping them understand their own culture. The most common place to study is Europe. The European lifestyle is very different than the American ways.

“I would study abroad. I really want to go to France.” Says 10th grade Mackenzie Williams

Alex Wilson takes a selfie while traveling Germany. Alex is, ironically, lost in his thoughts while standing in front of a poster that says, “TH!NK?”
Alex Wilson takes a selfie while traveling Germany. Alex is, ironically, lost in his thoughts while standing in front of aposter that says, “TH!NK?”

Learning to speak fluently, adjusting to the lifestyle, and conforming to the school or workplace atmosphere.

Other than just going to college in a different country, graduates sometimes apply for internships in other countries. Working for different industries in another country can be a benefit but also very difficult. Working as an intern alone is big task, working in the real world with real resposibilities, but working somewhere unfamiliar and speaking a different language on a daily basis would be a massive change.

“I plan on studying abroad my junior year of college.” Says 2015 high school graduate, Emma Morris. “Iwould like to go to the Dominican Republic but other options are Australia, Ireland, Mexico, and Costa Rica. These are the places that would prepare me for my career and they are the ones available for education. I plan to go for only a month or two, not a whole semester but maybe in the future I will teach in another country. I adjust to new places really quickly, I always have so I think I could handle it. My family would support me for that month or two so hopefully I can!”