Raise Your Voice

School is designed to make us hate it.

I know this because when I enter the building each morning, it’s quiet with people scattered throughout the cafeteria and booths. This may sound calming, but we students are separate but not equal. Walking by the junior high hallway, I see—at most—one of three doors leading to their space is open, like it is some sort of master plan to separate them from the high school, as if high schoolers and junior high students interacting with each other during school is going to be the end of the world.

My morning calm erupts when I hear, “I don’t want to be here” or “I really don’t want to go to so and so’s class” most days. 

I look around to see learners struggling with homework because they didn’t understand the lesson the way their teacher explained it the day before.

Like they are part of an unseen program, students chatter about how much they don’t like a certain staff member because they feel like that staff member doesn’t like them.

Making my way down the freshman hall, I always see the junior high students rushing to their small hall that I know myself is hard to navigate during passing time due to overcrowding. 

This quarantine makes high school seem unnecessarily scary.

If you take time to really listen and observe, you see that there are cultural routines that are repeated every day, negative things.