Free for the plenty

2016 proposition calls for two years of free community college

Brittny Clark

Senior Hannah McCarty take college courses at Lansing Community College halfway through the school day. “Doing dual enrollment gives me the opportunity to go to college for free. I think the free community college proposal would be beneficial to students so they would be able to get a college education for no cost.”

Freedom from home, late night cram sessions and student debt. While two of these ideas are usually much anticipated for in college, the last is usually dreaded.

However, with a new free community college proposal presented January 20 by President Barack Obama, the latter could be considered “paid.”

The president led the State of the Union address by discussing middle class economics including a proposition that will provide two free years of community college for students who “are willing to work for it.”

In order to qualify for this proposition, students must maintain a high school GPA of 2.5 or higher. In 2014, almost 32 percent of Stockbridge graduates attended a community college, while 25 percent attended a large university as reported by the Michigan School Data website.

“I have a low GPA, so I know I’m going to a community college for my first two years. Not having to pay for it would let me be able to pay for more important things like bills and food,” junior Julie McCarthy said.

According to The White House Blog, the proposition calls for tax cuts to middle class families and higher taxes for married couples who make more than $500,000 a year. Federal funding would cover three quarters of the cost for students and leave participating states to cover the rest.

This means that more than 9 million students will save an annual average of $3,800.

“With the nation concerned about the $1.2 trillion in student loan debt, this proposal should increase the value of a community college education because [students] can save money by going for free their first two years,” Chief of Staff Sara Johnson from Jackson Community College said.

While the proposition is still being debated, students are already leaning toward the opportunity.
“To the general public, I think people will lean more towards community college because it’s free,” junior Wade Cox said. “Who wouldn’t?”