• June 7Varsity softball takes on Regionals this Saturday, June 9, 2018.

• June 6There is an NHS meeting during B Lunch for all students invited to the program.

• June 5The last day to order your 2018 yearbook is on the last day of school, Tuesday, June 12.

Students encouraged to join after-school fitness program

Stockbridge wellness center looks for more students to participate in free workout classes

“It’s a way to really start having healthy habits early,” coalition coordinator Ashley Tomasi said regarding the BeFit program established within the 5 Healthy Towns of Stockbridge.

Offered to students ages 12-18 in the school district, BeFit gives open use of the Stockbridge Wellness Center.

The actual classes are free to students and are operated two times a week on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

“They do get full access to come to the center all day, every day that they wanted to,” fitness supervisor and personal trainer Kari Goorhouse said. “I feel like the Stockbridge Wellness Center helps give people alternatives to things besides just doing what they do at school.”

BeFit instructors understand not all students participate in school sports to help keep in shape, but all are still encouraged to come and start working on a daily exercise routine, whether it be to work out on the off season from a sport or to build up healthy habits.

“We start the students out with assessments and see what their baselines are, so we’ll test their cardiovascular fitness level, their muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, and we’ll get the weight measurements,” Goorhouse said. “We can do some other strength tests like push-ups and sit ups just to kind of see what you can do then after that we get you in a class.”

The program has been opened to the public, but not enough students are currently attending. The wellness center is looking for more students to take part, otherwise they will have to drop the program.

“It’s a great opportunity and we’d love to have more people utilizing it,” Tomasi said.

The program is currently three sessions per year.

Trainer are also considering a summer program. Students can join later sessions as well; this is not the only time it is held.

“Fitness is still important,” Goorhouse said. “I would just love to see more consistency of people coming in.”