Letter to the Editor

Greetings,

I hope everyone had a safe and restful holiday season with quality time alongside family and friends as we press on with another school year.  Although my presence in the school has been a recent addition, I would like to express my excitement to be with you as your School Resource Officer (SRO). I would like to introduce myself, especially for those staff members whom I have not met or who may not be aware of my role and background. I am a proud member of the Stockbridge Police Department and have been employed with SPD since 2015 as a Police Officer. Prior to Stockbridge, I had additional law enforcement experience with another police department bringing my overall experience as an officer to approximately four years. I am a native of Michigan and graduated from Grand Ledge High School in 2006. Prior to entering law enforcement, I attended Lansing Community College and Ferris State University, graduating in 2010 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice. I attended my police academy training in Lansing where I graduated in 2011. I just recently graduated from School Resource Officer training this last October in anticipation of becoming your SRO.

Ever since I can remember I wanted to be a police officer. I cannot think of anything more rewarding in my life than to serve others who are in need and I am incredibly thankful to have the privilege and honor to do so for the Stockbridge community. Being welcomed into the Stockbridge Community Schools has greatly increased my opportunities to serve our community and for that I am so truly grateful.

I look forward to the opportunity of interacting with your students in any way I can as I focus on maintaining a safe learning environment for both students and staff.  As we move forward into the school year, I am here as a resource to assist you with any challenges that may arise, and to help educate students and staff on issues related to law enforcement and school safety. Please don’t hesitate to ask me to step inside your classroom for even just a small presentation. I enjoy being put on the spot if needed.

As your SRO, I am committed to:

• Being visible within the school community to help deter criminal activity and student misconduct.
  • Attending and participating in school functions throughout all schools in the district.
  • Building working relationships with the school’s staff as well as with student and parent groups.
  • Initiating interactions with students in the classroom (i.e. class presentations/ lectures)
  • Promoting the profession of law enforcement and being a positive role model to students.
  • Working with staff members to establish a safe and secure learning environment.
  • Being an advocate on behalf of faculty members for emergency response training.

Please feel free to contact me anytime with your concerns and questions. I may be reached through the below listed information.

School Resource Officer Brad Hagman – Stockbridge Police Department

Stockbridge Community Schools

416 N. Clinton Street

Stockbridge, MI 49285

Respectfully Submitted,

Officer Brad Hagman