• June 7Varsity softball takes on Regionals this Saturday, June 9, 2018.

• June 6There is an NHS meeting during B Lunch for all students invited to the program.

• June 5The last day to order your 2018 yearbook is on the last day of school, Tuesday, June 12.

Highway to be renamed in memory of fallen officer

The entire Whitaker family watched as Governor Rick Snyder signed the actual bill to rename a part of M-52 just outside of the village of Stockbridge after fallen officer, Deputy Grant Whitaker.

The Governors Office

The Governors Office

At the young age of 25, Deputy Grant Whitaker died in the line of duty during a high speed pursuit on December 7, 2014.

Whitaker, an alum, was a well-known and beloved member of our school community.

The dedication came to be when state senator Curtis Hertel Jr. introduced Senate Bill 509 that would make a portion of highway M-52 named “Deputy Grant Whitaker Memorial Highway.”

The naming gives comfort and pride to Whitaker’s family.

“I feel that by naming the highway after Grant shows a tremendous amount of respect for the sacrifice he made for this community,” 7th grade language arts teacher and sister-in-law of Deputy Whitaker, Laura Whitaker, said.

“Grant made an impact on the people here; as a student-athlete who graduated from our schools, to a Stockbridge police officer, and then as an Ingham County deputy.”

The renaming of the highway serves as a reminder for people to remember Deputy Whitaker.

He will be thought of and remembered daily. It’s a way we can honor him even though he is no longer here with us,” Whitaker said.  

On December 5, Governor Rick Snyder signed the bill. “It was a bittersweet moment for us as December 5 was also the last night we saw Grant,” Whitaker said. “Just a special time all around.”