Photo and Illustration Kali Roskowski

Killing the environment, one executive order at a time

President Trump should not be allowed to withhold environmental information

Waters will become overrun with algae and rubbish, the air will constantly smell of smoke and to top it off, our soil will become too acidic to grow crops, leaving humans to survive in unlivable conditions.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a government run program, works every day to protect the environment both in the U.S. and globally.

The EPA releases information its on website such as global warming, pollution and acid rain. On the other side, President Donald Trump works to cut funding and change the content the agency is allowed to release through executive orders.

The executive order, repealing Barack Obama’s clean water plan, is a politically driven action toward making money in America. The actions that restrict the release of information build the revenue from oil, wood, and disposal corporations would profit. The government is not just holding information back for citizen safety, it is an act that is geared toward profit for different companies that would thrive without news of global warming.

The 24 percent budget cut will be coming from multiple parts of the EPA, which have not yet been determined, according to a statement made by the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty.

The president’s actions are more geared toward how he can please the Republican Party rather than protect the habitats of different species and of humans across the world. There is only one Earth for us to live on. Humans are worth more than a couple of bucks made off of oil.

The White House website reports, “President Trump is committed to eliminating harmful and unnecessary policies such as the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S. rule.” This statement is a prime example of the Trump administration’s political motive. Banning the EPA from informing the public about climate change is a shot for a political campaign to boost the coal and oil industries.

Since 1959, approximately 350 billion tonnes of carbon have been emitted by humans to the atmosphere, of which about 55 percent has moved into the land and oceans, according to the International Weekly Journal of Science.

The backers of the Trump administration who passes these executive orders could easily not live to see the effect it is having on the earth. Vegetation, clean water and air could become scarce in millennials and their children’s lifetimes, meaning that the Earth could quickly become uninhabitable. Humans could not survive in this type of environment.

Humans could kill this Earth, and Trump’s move toward banning the knowledge on climate change and movements to prevent it from happening is a death sentence for creatures residing here.

The actions Trump is taking is detrimental to humans. The destruction of planet may not be apparent in Trump’s time in office, but it is a guarantee that he will have a hand in the next generation’s way of life.

Uncaged • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in