How to recover from your exams

Large amounts of coffee, Red Bull, bloodshot eyes and tears flooding students’ review sheets are common occurrences as January 21 quickly approaches. Here are a few tips for sleep deprived students to redeem themselves from the horrors and stress of final exams.

Get rest. Most high school students are deprived of sleep during exam week, and teenagers need an average of eight to ten hours of sleep. Go home and take a nap or watch some TV. You need to let your body and brain regenerate from all the stress your exams provide.   

Have fun. Spending all week cooped up in your bedroom studying is not fun. Get out, grab a couple friends, go to the movies and have a good time.

Meditate. Find somewhere quiet to sit, close your eyes and take deep breaths. Try going to 5minutemeditation.com. Meditation helps relieve stress and anxiety, as well as lessen blood pressure.

Practice yoga. Grab a mat and strike some poses. Many yoga positions such as Viparita Karani and Savasana are known to help the body relax.

Drink decaffeinated tea. You have probably been running on coffee and energy drinks all week long. Try drinking tea instead. Chamomile or Valerian tea help ease some of your tension and anxiety.

Listen to music. Sometimes belting out the lyrics to your favorite songs can fix your grumpy mood. Listen to the beat and let yourself go.

Drip cold water on your wrists. Major arteries are located right underneath the skin of your wrist and behind your earlobe. Dripping cool water on these areas can help relax your body.

Use Roman Chamomile essential oil. Apply the oil to your lotion or use a small amount to rub on your skin. This oil contains stimulants and antidepressants that eliminate sadness and help sooth your body system.

Chris Hall, 8 “Are you looking forward to exams?” “Yeah, I just want to get them over with.” “Why?” “So the pressure's not on.”
Jacob Hudson
Chris Hall, 8
“Are you looking forward to exams?”
“Yeah, I just want to get them over with.”
“Why?”
“So the pressure’s not on.”
Megan Catron, 8 “Are you nervous?” “I'm really nervous. I'm not going to be looking forward to it because of all the stress and stuff, since it counts as a big part of my grade. I feel like I'm going to rush, and I'm not going to do the best as I would if it was as just as a regular test.”
Jacob Hudson
Megan Catron, 8
“Are you nervous?”
“I’m really nervous. I’m not going to be looking forward to it because of all the stress and stuff, since it counts as a big part of my grade. I feel like I’m going to rush, and I’m not going to do the best as I would if it was as just as a regular test.”