Spring break destinations

Where does everyone go for spring break?

It is almost that time of year again when students across the country travel down South for spring break. Spring in Michigan is usually still pretty cold, and sometimes, it snows. Those who are sick of the weather might travel somewhere warm and tropical, but where do the majority of people in our country go? 

Spring break season in America usually begins in early February and ends in mid-to-late April. The South and a few countries in Central America see the most visitors during this time of year. According to USA Today, Florida saw over 500,000 students during spring break last year and the number is only supposed to increase this year. Most people go to Florida for spring break because it offers an escape from the cold northern winters and brings warm weather and sunshine. It also has a fun beach party scene, and there’s always something to do.

Senior Micah Bolton has gone to Florida about five or six times for spring break and absolutely loves it.

“Florida is beautiful, it’s tropical, and I just love it,” Bolton said. “The vibe that I get from it is just awesome.”

Bolton goes for the beaches and believes that everyone should go to Florida at least once in their lives just to get the experience. He has also gone to South Carolina and Tennessee for spring break, and is going to Puerto Rico this year. 

Eighth grader Bralynn Phillipp has also gone to Tennessee for spring break.

“I usually go somewhere for spring break, last year I went to Tennessee,” Phillipp said. “But I am not going anywhere this year.”

Though Tennessee isn’t always as warm as Florida during spring, it still offers tons of exciting activities to do, but people don’t always go down South for just the warm weather, some go for fun things to do, like theme parks.

“Most of the time I go to Disney World, Seaworld or Discovery Cove,” senior Bailey Bartrum said. “My favorite memory would be swimming with the dolphins at Discovery Cove.”

Bartrum has gone to Florida five times and usually goes to Florida for the theme parks, however, she likes visiting the beach a little more.

“I don’t care for the inland as much,” Bartrum said. “The beaches and ocean are more worth it.”

Spring break gives a temporary change of the everyday norms people have. That change could be a new location 1,000 miles away, or it could just be spending a little more time outside. Not everyone goes somewhere for spring break, some cannot afford it and others just simply don’t want to. Some don’t think you need to go out to have a fun spring break, but instead just want to enjoy the time away from school.

Senior Ebin Gustafson has gone on vacation before for spring break, but usually stays at home to enjoy his time away from school.

“I usually watch movies, play pool in my basement and hangout with my girlfriend,” Gustafson said. “It’s kind of bittersweet because I don’t get to relax at home much, so I just get to relax and enjoy time off from being stressed at school.”

Freshman Braxton Blackledge does not need to travel far to have a memorable break either.

“I usually go to my dad’s house because I don’t get to see him much,” Blackledge said. “Sometimes we go up north to go sledding if it is still snowy out or we will go ice fishing.”

This week off school also gives people the opportunity to continue doing their hobbies.

For example, history teacher Carter Mauter likes to start one of his favorite hobbies during break. 

“I usually stay home during spring break to start my gardening stuff,” Mauter said. “We usually try to do like a day or two trip, but not a week long one.”

Unfortunately, jobs and businesses do not have a spring break so many students still have to work during their time off from school, but some don’t mind. 

“I don’t usually go anywhere for spring break,” junior Marcus Hill said. “I usually just help out on the family farm during spring break.”

Even though working at a job is tiring, spring break still takes a lot of weight off student’s backs caused by quizzes, assignments and deadlines. Whether you prefer Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee or just your house, spring break poses a great chance to mentally decompress and the perfect opportunity to get out and enjoy the sunshine.